HomeOur HistoryInformation for PatronsChildren's LibraryBook Apps for TabletsContact Us
Sweetwater
Public Library
Our History

Sweetwater Library

- In 1905, some very distinguished people of Sweetwater gathered together to discuss the need for a library.  After much planning and organization, the Sweetwater Public Library Association was located in a vacant room in a school building donated by Colonel O.C. Hulvey. In 1908, however, the library was moved to a small building on a plot of land, both of which were provided by Mrs. Bland E. Clark.  The name was then changed to the “Helen M. Cooke Memorial Library” in honor of Mrs. Clark’s sister.  In 1980, ground was broken for yet another bigger and better library building.  Funding donated by Mrs. Florine Jones Hall helped to make this happen.  Located on the corner of Biggs and Oak Streets now stands what is known as the Sweetwater Public Library.


The first library building       
       
                           
The second library building
               
           
Inside the second library



Sweetwater Children's Library

- In 1985, Florine Jones Hall donated funds in order to expand the library. Her donations paved the way to the construction of a stand-alone children's section. Thus, the Children's Library was born. Because of this addition, children of all ages have come to enjoy the benefits offered by our library. 



Home|Our History|Information for Patrons|Children's Library|Book Apps for Tablets|Contact Us